Friday, December 2, 2011

Oma's Pages #21

Oma’s Pages #21
And then there was the door to the apartment. There was not any door nob like we have at home.
On the outside of the door it looks like a regular door nob but it does not turn. It is just a handle to hold onto. Below the door nob is where you put your key, hold the door nob, pull back and turn the key.... most of the time it worked. Occasionally Opa’s key would not work so then I would take my key and take a turn at opening it. I had to turn it all the way around until I felt it click. 
It reminded me of the old post office in Garland when I was growing up. I could barely reach the Buchanan post box. I remember turning the nob until I heard it click and then I could turn the small nob to open it. That is the way my door in Holland opened.
Just below the door nob was our mail post slot. We could receive anything that would fit through the slot. If it was bigger a man would come to our door. If we were not home, he would leave us a message and we had to go to a store that had a mail desk to get our package. 



On the inside of the door there was no door nob at all. Instead of a door nob there was a sideways latch with a pull string on it. You can actually lock yourself into your house from the inside. We know of mothers who lock their children in their house when they leave so the children do not go outside where it is not safe. Things are a lot different here than at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment